Friday, March 13, 2009

Who qualifies for Obama’s mortgage refinance plan?

Randy Johnson, president of Independence Mortgage Co. in Newport Beach, author of “How to Save Thousands of Dollars on Your Home Mortgage” and a mortgage broker since 1983, answers questions…

Q. I have been reading about Obama’s new housing bailout, and they say that homeowners who are “underwater” will still be able to refinance if their home loan was backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. 

Immediately, I started thinking, “do I qualify?” I’ve asked friends and have searched the Internet and have found varied responses to the one question I have — how do you find out if your loan is backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac? 

We write our (whopping) mortgage check to Wells Fargo every month, and it’s not like the bank teller has that information readily available. I can’t find a straight answer anywhere. And if I do find out my loan is backed by Fannie or Freddie, what do I do next?”

A. Regarding not being able to get a straight answer, don’t feel like the Lone Ranger. But I do have good news for you. 

  • If your loan servicer won’t or can’t tell you, you can still find out. To see if Fannie Mae owns it, go to www.fanniemae.com/homeaffordable. For Freddie Mac the website is www.freddiemac.com/avoidforeclosure/.Fill out their forms. Make sure your name and address are exactly the same as on your loan coupon. Just for fun I filled out the forms at each Website to see which one owns my loan. I am still awaiting a response.
  1. If the loan is owned by either Fannie or Freddie, then you would qualify for the recent initiative for reducing the rate on loans that are between 80 to 105 percent loan-to-value (LTV) without mortgage insurance (PMI). 
  2. If the loan required PMI initially, the lender can use the existing PMI contract.

The catch on this for Orange County owners is that any home bought in the last few years has likely dropped 20 to 30 percent, maybe more, and would be over 105 percent LTV. However, people who bought in the early 2000s might still be in that bracket and certainly can benefit.
  • REALITY: this program has just been announced and it is highly likely that servicers have not yet developed their own policies and procedures and have not yet trained the staff on how to respond to inquiries. 

Danny in Corona asks:

Q. I purchased a condo in Oct. 2005 and financed both first and second mortgages at Chase. The first mortgage is a deed of trust (fixed rate) and the second mortgage is a California close-end deed of trust (a balloon note, but fixed rate). 

I have been unemployed since Oct. 2007 and all of my savings and emergency funds have been exhausted. I’m two months behind on both mortgages and approaching three months behind. I listed my condo for sale for over a year. Unfortunately, I had no luck. I also consulted with real estate brokers about doing a short-sale. However, they didn’t want to take it. 

I have no clue why. Anyway, if I successfully negotiate with Chase to have deed-in-lieu of foreclosure on my property or if Chase forecloses on my property, may Chase seek delinquent judgment on the second mortgage (closed-end deed of trust)? I have not refinanced since I purchased my condo.

A. First, I’m am sorry to hear about your situation and you have my prayers and good thoughts for a better outcome. You really need to ask a lawyer because technically that is a legal question. I think you will feel better informed if you look at a Website www.foreclosure.com/statelaw_CA.html, which summarizes current law. Frankly, I think that lenders have their hands full today and that they rarely go after defaulting borrowers, so I wouldn’t worry. Best of luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment